
As I write this first entry to my blog, I am looking out over the Kidron Valley at the Dome of the Rock, the Mount of Olives, and the old wall of Jerusalem. It is amazing how close all of these things are to each other and also how close the Jerusalem Center is to it all. I am currently living in the BYU Jerusalem Center and it is AMAZING! It is probably the most amazing church building I've ever been in other than the temples. I am rooming with two guys from Salt Lake right now. One named Brad, the other James. They are pretty cool guys. Brad is engaged as of one week ago, so that makes things just a bit more interesting. I woke up on our first day here at 4 o'clock to the "Athlan" or Islamic call to prayer. They do it 5 times a day over the loud speakers at mosques all over the city. We have one near by that is the loudest, but whenever it starts up, I can hear echoes from other mosques around

the valley also playing the Athlan. It was cool yesterday to go walk out and hear this Islamic music and also the ringing of church bells from the nearby cathedral on top of the Mount of Olives. The diversity of this place and its major religions just blows me away. I always knew that this was a small area to have three major religions, but I NEVER realized it was this small of an area! It just astounds me that they can get along at all in such little space. Every step of land must be fought for. We were told yesterday in a meeting in our chapel, while overlooking the old city of Jerusalem through huge glass windows, that the BYU Jerusalem Center is the largest American institution in the Holy Land. It is a large place and is on a very, I'm sure, coveted plot of land. I feel so blessed to be here and I have had a flood of thoughts going through my head since I got here. Thoughts of my future and if part of it is here. Thoughts of my future profession and if it will lead me back here. It is only my first day, so I won't jump to any conclusions. But one commitment I have made is to soak in and learn everything that I can about this place. That goes for Arabic, the scriptures, knowledge of other religions, and of myself. I can't wait to see what happens this summer!
I think I figured out how to "follow" your blog. I'm excited to read your adventures!
ReplyDeleteJonah, you're awesome.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I remember noticing early on was the awesome fragrance in the air - sort of spicy and sweet. Have you noticed that? You are so lucky to be there! I am interested to see what you end up doing with your life - it seems to me it won't be anything too typical! =)
ReplyDelete