
I had the awesome privilege today to partake of the sacrament (first time I've ever done so on a day other than Sunday- Saturday) and visiting the "Garden of Gethsemane". Our Sacrament service begins at 10 o'clock every Saturday. There is a small branch that meets with us that includes Americans that work at the American consulate here, others that attend Hebrew University, some here in travel groups, for work trips, and also some Israelis, Palestinians, Spanish speakers and a Filipino. The chapel we meet in is absolutely beautiful. Every speaker gets up to say something and it is hard to look at them because there are huge windows behind them that show the Jerusalem skyline. Today was the Fast and Testimony meeting.

Before the meeting started, it was a bit noisy from different conversations. I wanted to prepare for the meeting, so I opened up my scriptures and read from the last few chapters of Matthew. I was able to read about the last few hours of Christ's life and His resurrection, then look up from my scriptures and see the very places where He performed those acts. It was a very spiritual experience. The thing that stuck out to me most was where Pilate asks the Jews, "shall I crucify your King?" and of course they reply yes and then later on they say, "His blood be upon us and our children." What a blind and mindless thing to say! To ask for that blood, the blood of an innocent man, to be upon not only them, but their posterity as well, that thought just blew me away. No wonder the Jews have been persecuted and rejected for so long. After church, I went out with a different group to visit the Garden of Gethsemane (both of them).

One garden is owned by the Greek Orthodox church, the other by the Roman Catholics. It was cool to visit the different sites and think about the savior, but I have to say the most spiritual part of it was to visit the quiet and serene Orson Hyde park on the Mount of Olives. Once I step foot in the park, I looked around at the ancient olive trees that surrounded me and all I could think of is the Savior kneeling down in the grove, sweating in agony for all the sins, pains, and afflictions of the world. It was so cool to partake of the sacrament to start off the day, then go to the very place where He did the Atonement to finish the day. It was an unforgettable experience and a holy one. The Catholic Garden of Gethsemane is really busy with people coming and going. Across the street is the silent, secluded Greek Orthodox Garden of Gethsemane, locked behind a wall and gate. However, we heard that if you tell the gate keeper that you are from the "Mormon University" then he will open the gate for you and let you in. We found him and he let us in. There were 7 of us and we went into this small garden from the street with ancient Olive trees and small blood red flowers covering the ground. I thought the flower color was very fitting for the place. We were able to sit in the garden in different spots and just read our scriptures and write in our journals. It was a cool experience.
Hi sweetie :) These pictures are wondrful! I love the first one. I never walked the Via Dolorosa - no time, plus the congestion/noise factor. Besides, I learned pretty fast that the "Traditional" locations weren't always the best...
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
One of my most spiritual experiences of my life was in the Garden of Gethsemane. I was overwhelmed with the knowledge of Christ's love for us - for me...
ReplyDeleteIt was also so meaningful for me to take the sacrament while looking at the places where he sacrificed his blood and his body for mankind. I need to think of that more often when I take the sacrament now.