I had the awesome opportunity to go with the rest of the students from the Jerusalem Center to the Western Wall in the Old City. We left on Friday night after dinner, which some of you may know is the beginning of Shabat, the Jewish Sabbath. We usually aren't allowed in the Old City after dark, but since we were in a big group, we were able to go. The Western Wall complex is right next to the Temple Mount and where the Muslim holy sites of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock are located. The two groups are literally a few feet from each other, only separated by a high wall. After going though a series of check points guarded by Israeli police and armed forces, we entered the Western Wall plaza. It is a wide area spread out in front of the wall, separated into a section for men and another for women. I was amazed by the noise that came from the plaza as we approached. I could hear thousands of voices chanting and singing. I had bought a little Jewish skullcap or Keepa earlier in the day and as we entered the plaza, I put it on my head. They don't allow any man to approach the wall with his head uncovered. Because it was the start of the Sabbath, the Jews wouldn't allow us to take photos because it is a form of "work". I was able to get a few off before I found this out. I stood for a long time at a high point that over looked the plaza and just watched the scene in front of the wall. There were literally thousands of Jews packed into the front part of the complex up against the wall. The men section was almost completely black from the dark suits that they all were wearing. All of the older men were either wearing black fidoras or some Jews were wearing black silk robes, white stockings, all topped off with a black circular Russian fur hat upon their head. The rows of men closest to the wall were all bobbing their heads from side to side or up and down as the Jews do when they pray. It was fascinating to see! After watching, I entered the men section to approach the actual wall. The noise that I heard in the plaza as I entered now surrounded me. There were old Rabbis at tables, one hand upon a copy of the Torah, the other slamming the table as they chanted their prayers loudly, all the time swaying back and forth. There were young students of the Torah who had formed multiple circles in the throng and were celebrating the start of Shabat by singing songs and dancing. Everywhere there were Jewish men saying their prayers, all facing the wall. I heard English, Hebrew, Russian, and other languages. The fervor of their prayers seemed to electrify me as I wove my way through the throng. I thought much in that short time I spent there of the fact that these were God's children, praying fervently to Him and that He hears their prayers as well as mine. Upon arriving near the wall, I stopped a few rows back from the it and stood still. I felt it would be disrespectful to push through the men saying their prayers just to touch the wall. So I stayed in that spot and began to offer up a prayer of my own. I didn't sway back and forth as they did, though part of me wanted to for some strange reason. I just put my hands behind my back and closed my eyes. The sound around me continued, but for some reason it didn't bother me. Usually when I pray and there is other noise around me, I can't concentrate and I feel that my prayer is not as sincere. But I was so impressed as I began my prayer and heard the other prayers around me that we were all praying to the same God and He was listening to all of those prayers. I prayed for many things in the time I spent there, but one thing that I prayed most for was for these Jewish people, my brothers and sisters, the people of the Lord. I prayed for them to realize that their Messiah had already come. After standing there for a while, it came time for me to leave, but I didn't want to. I could have spent the rest of the evening just standing in that spot and been happy and content. I have reflected quite a few times back on that experience since Friday. It is one of the most memorable events of my life so far. It was just fascinating for me to see that. I can't wait for a future day when I can see it again.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
The Western Wall
I had the awesome opportunity to go with the rest of the students from the Jerusalem Center to the Western Wall in the Old City. We left on Friday night after dinner, which some of you may know is the beginning of Shabat, the Jewish Sabbath. We usually aren't allowed in the Old City after dark, but since we were in a big group, we were able to go. The Western Wall complex is right next to the Temple Mount and where the Muslim holy sites of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock are located. The two groups are literally a few feet from each other, only separated by a high wall. After going though a series of check points guarded by Israeli police and armed forces, we entered the Western Wall plaza. It is a wide area spread out in front of the wall, separated into a section for men and another for women. I was amazed by the noise that came from the plaza as we approached. I could hear thousands of voices chanting and singing. I had bought a little Jewish skullcap or Keepa earlier in the day and as we entered the plaza, I put it on my head. They don't allow any man to approach the wall with his head uncovered. Because it was the start of the Sabbath, the Jews wouldn't allow us to take photos because it is a form of "work". I was able to get a few off before I found this out. I stood for a long time at a high point that over looked the plaza and just watched the scene in front of the wall. There were literally thousands of Jews packed into the front part of the complex up against the wall. The men section was almost completely black from the dark suits that they all were wearing. All of the older men were either wearing black fidoras or some Jews were wearing black silk robes, white stockings, all topped off with a black circular Russian fur hat upon their head. The rows of men closest to the wall were all bobbing their heads from side to side or up and down as the Jews do when they pray. It was fascinating to see! After watching, I entered the men section to approach the actual wall. The noise that I heard in the plaza as I entered now surrounded me. There were old Rabbis at tables, one hand upon a copy of the Torah, the other slamming the table as they chanted their prayers loudly, all the time swaying back and forth. There were young students of the Torah who had formed multiple circles in the throng and were celebrating the start of Shabat by singing songs and dancing. Everywhere there were Jewish men saying their prayers, all facing the wall. I heard English, Hebrew, Russian, and other languages. The fervor of their prayers seemed to electrify me as I wove my way through the throng. I thought much in that short time I spent there of the fact that these were God's children, praying fervently to Him and that He hears their prayers as well as mine. Upon arriving near the wall, I stopped a few rows back from the it and stood still. I felt it would be disrespectful to push through the men saying their prayers just to touch the wall. So I stayed in that spot and began to offer up a prayer of my own. I didn't sway back and forth as they did, though part of me wanted to for some strange reason. I just put my hands behind my back and closed my eyes. The sound around me continued, but for some reason it didn't bother me. Usually when I pray and there is other noise around me, I can't concentrate and I feel that my prayer is not as sincere. But I was so impressed as I began my prayer and heard the other prayers around me that we were all praying to the same God and He was listening to all of those prayers. I prayed for many things in the time I spent there, but one thing that I prayed most for was for these Jewish people, my brothers and sisters, the people of the Lord. I prayed for them to realize that their Messiah had already come. After standing there for a while, it came time for me to leave, but I didn't want to. I could have spent the rest of the evening just standing in that spot and been happy and content. I have reflected quite a few times back on that experience since Friday. It is one of the most memorable events of my life so far. It was just fascinating for me to see that. I can't wait for a future day when I can see it again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are a natural-born writer, Jones. I got the chills just reading this. Very captivating. I can't imagine what that would be like.
ReplyDeleteYou really did capture the essence of the wall very well! I also gained such incredible respect and admiration for our Jewish brothers and sisters while feeling of their spirits as they prayed.
ReplyDelete