Once we were done at Masada, we traveled north along the Dead Sea to a small canyon that empties into the lake. The Israelis call it Ein Geti and it is the place in the Bible that David flees to in order to hide from Saul. The canyon is basically an oasis in the desert, a beautiful series of waterfalls and pools of clear water. It was beautiful and I was happy to escape the hot weather by swimming in the cool water. When we went from there to swim in the Dead Sea, I was even happier that I had got in the water at Ein Geti. Swimming in the Dead Sea was like jumping into a pool of gasoline. The water felt oily on my skin and made every cut, scrape, and rash on my
The last stop of the day was at Qumran, the place where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. These scrolls are amazing and as they are all translated and revealed to the world, the position of the church concerning the Bible as incomplete will become more and more accepted. Many scrolls found at Qumran contain records not found in our Bible today. They were written by Jewish scribes of a radical group called the Essenes. They were a small sect that withdrew from Jewish society to purify themselves with prayer and by bathing many times a day in ritual baths. They believed that they were preparing themselves for the coming of the Messiah. During the Great Jewish Revolt when the Romans destroyed the Second Temple, the Essenes were also wiped out. Before being wiped out, they hide all of their records in various caves next to their settlement in Qumran. All of these caves could easily be seen from the ruins of the town. These records were discovered in the '50's when two Bedouins were throwing rocks into one of the caves, trying to scare out some stray goats, and heard the smash of pottery as one of the rocks hit something inside. They investigated it and discovered the scrolls conserved in pots within the cave. Archaeologists have discovered scrolls in about 200 different caves in the area since then (picture: the cliffs around Qumran, you can see some of the caves).
Hey, man. These posts are pretty sweet. It would have been really cool to go see Masada and go up the tram. When you got off did you tell the dudes up there "I am special agent Johann Schmidt" with a really bad English accent? That would make the experience even sweeter...I hope we get to see some more before you fly back!
ReplyDeleteI guess I could have quoted the movie on top of Masada, but nobody would've know what I was talking about...
ReplyDelete